Sunday, February 10, 2013

Argentina Pictures, Part 5: Bariloche

A side trip to the frigid, windy Patagonian land of lakes.

SO windy:

Fortunately, the view is also nice from indoors. This is the lobby of my hotel:






Even the trees wear sweaters:


 Bariloche was founded only a little more than a hundred years ago, so it doesn't have the colonial look a lot of towns in Argentina have. Here is the cathedral. I think it was built mid-20th century.



I sat inside for awhile to warm up and admired the rustic style:


Typical look for Bariloche civic buildings:





Even the phone booths embrace the mountain styling:


The rest of town was mostly lodging, chocolate shops, and outdoorsy/adventure establishments and places selling clothing and gear for outdoorsy adventuring.

Then, out of town, where hardier souls than I do their outdoor adventuring:





This little ferry terminal is where you can go to take a trip to Chile. About the only boats I saw in the water the whole time I was there. There were a few marinas so people must boat sometimes. Is it ever warm there?




View from the chairlift:

This looks like a chilly job:






View of the fancy Hotel Llao Llao from the top of the mountain. Most of the lower elevation pictures are taken from near that hotel. It was a nice place to go inside and warm up. On the steps of the hotel I ran into a family from San Francisco who were in front of me on the plane down. They were some of the hardy souls who came here to bicycle.


1 comment:

Tyana said...

beautiful photos, julia.